THANKSGIVING TABLESCAPE THRIFTING

Yesterday, I feel like I hit the jackpot while thrifting for some updated pieces for our Thanksgiving table setting. I went to the shops with one focus in mind: finding items to work with our existing pieces for the tablescape. My main focused piece was finding plates with leaves - which turned out to be the FIRST find of the day! They were an ideal steal at only .50 - BUT... yesterday was WACKY WEDNESDAY at the Salvation Army so... they were HALF OFF! This deal made it impossible to pass up some other items, to have variety while creating the tablescape. These are some other items I found while thrifting Goodwill and Salvation Army yesterday: white stoneware dinner plates @ $1, stoneware bowl @ $2, pedestal white & gold bowl @ $5, mini brass candlestick holders - each pair @ $2.50 and a pair of tall fluted brass candlestick @ $2. The tall ones are too yellow so I'll be priming & spray painting with Rustoleum metallic Gold (just like the centerpiece.) The thrifted variety will be fun to mix up. 











Although I cleaned all the plates with hot water, soap and (yes) a shot of bleach (can't be too careful these days) I needed to polish the brass. I don't own any brass or Brasso, and I was trying to avoid a trip out to the store, so I found a few home remedies to try. Boiling onions... too long. Tried ketchup, but didn't like the result. What worked best: A plain old vinegar & salt soak and a little elbow grease and whatta-shine!


Brass before.

Brass soaking.

Brass after.

LOVE its finish - but not the tall candlestick holders.
I'm going to prime & spray those the gold of the centerpiece...

More about this posted yesterday at

Although I prefer white dishes to let the colors of the meal speak for itself, I did find a set of size dessert plates I could NOT pass up: Fitz & Floyd black & white plaid plates at 75 cents each. These can work either for Thanksgiving or for Christmas, as dessert plates for dinner or hors d'oeuvres plates for a holiday gathering. The B&W plaid would work great paired with gold accents or red - Love it also paired with the RL paisley napkins I picked up at HomeGoods!




What finds have you gathered lately from thrifting?
If you're looking to update your tablescape for the holidays,
don't overlook thrifting for those special details at bargain prices!



Happy Thrifty Thursday!



LINKING THIS POST TO:





9 comments:

  1. I love this!! I need to go on a hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black and white and the leaf plates. i haven't had time to thrift lately, so I went I went "shopping" in the yard for greenery to put in my floral arnagement-on-a-budget in today's post. Check it out if you can. Doing great things for next to nothing is totally satisfying. I can't wait to see what you do with these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those black and white plates are exactly what I need. Ummm you wanna sell them to me...seriously.

    Serious.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the black & white plates fantastic find

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! You scored some major finds. I'm always amazed by the great housewares at my thrift store, and if I had more space, I'd be buying a lot more. I hosted a ladies brunch over the summer, and found all my serving pieces including lots of tiny mismatched milk jars at the local thrift. It's so much more fun than a trip to Pier 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda, what a SCORE. I love the Fitz and Floyd plates. I am a nut for black and white and if you add stripes or plaid I am so THERE!!! Great choices on your part and what a fun day!Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! I love the plaid dessert plates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda beautiful finds as always. But if you decide to sell those Blk&whites tell Mr. Goodwillhunting...this Jersey Girl get 1st bid. lol Cant wait to see what you do with them. Ive been on a blog break but its good to be back and of course you were one of my 1st stops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see your table all decked out for Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails