RENTAL RESTYLE: COASTAL SUMMER STYLE

When I moved, people had asked if I would still continue to change my decor for the seasons. I originally thought no, because we are renting... but it's too much a part of me and my lifestyle not to. Plus, seasonal decor is a wonderful way to refresh a rental house to be your home. Although I don't think I did quite as an intense seasonal restyle throughout the year, I did notice the new climate navigating the look and feel of our rental. The winter here was surprisingly chilly to us. In the Spring, I was yearning for some flowers and strong colors, so I layered them into the decor, switched a few pillows, and framed sofa wall windows with printed curtain panels I picked up at Goodwill. But when Summer rolled around, all I wanted was to look at cool crisp whites, maybe a hint of blue and lighter layers for sure! I switched the heavy white shag rug for a thinner B&W weave. I changed pillows to whites, along with adding more white decor elements like books and vases. To help keep the AZ sun & heat out, I switched the lighted printed panels for no-sew drop cloth panels (was before hanging). It was tough to find palm fronds, so my fax fronds came in handy, along with adding a palm in the bedroom. Bringing out sea treasures from our South Florida travels helped give our rental decor east coast feel, but adding in the cow skull still made the AZ statement. Patterns were minimized to stripes, along with a few baskets and silver pieces I picked up thru thrift. A transitional find I scored through thrift were some wooden bowls. The wooden bowls great to hold shells or wooden beads for Summer, and will also be great to old acorns or corks for Fall...




To refresh the wall gallery I did in January, I kept the mirrors in place, and replaced the "NYC" + NY prints with beach & animal prints in black and white. Using tape to align the holes came in handy on these dark walls...


Summer thrift finds, but can also transition in the Fall....


Neutralized...

Here you can see the drop cloth curtain panels - washed & hung with clip rings...



Blues added in from our San Diego trip this past May...



Clearnce frames I picked up at Homegoods back in January worked great to hold quotes I printed from Pinterest...





I packed up summer a couple of weeks ago, but plan to use some of the pieces for the guest room. Since the weather had started to cool a bit (but it did heat back up this week to 110!) I've restarted doing some DIY projects. I was going stir-crazy being cooped up inside the past few months - the only time I could head outside was to an air-conditioned destination.  Also because of the heat in our new area, I didn't do much gardening this year (and I LOVE gardening!) As subtle as the seasonal changes I made have been, they are a wonderful way to lift spirits and continue to make this rental house a home...






Now it's time to Restyle this rental for Fall!


Thanks for stopping by...







1 comment:

  1. LOVE that you change your decor for the seasons - I do too! But what I love the most is that you thrift and your style is so CHIC and high end!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails