INDOOR WINTER PAINT PROJECTS

With the colder winter days now in full swing, including our first snowfall of the season Sunday morning -- it's time to focus on indoor projects. Before diving into several projects running through your mind, it's good to start a project list, especially room by room, and tackle each space / project over time. Along with giving the kitchen & bathrooms a deep after holiday cleaning, plus reorganizing closets that became disarray during the holidays, I started some small painting projects - one of which is a simple mirror makeover...


Since paint is the easiest, least expensive and most effective means of getting the biggest bang for your buck, reusing leftover paint you may already have is a sure way to create a transformation using zero dollars. Another means of stretching your paint makeover dollars is purchasing sample jars of paints - especially when they are on sale. One of the colors I had when I lived in AZ and used to whitewash walls and makeover accessories was Clark & Kensington's Vanilla. Since I couldn't pack and ship liquids when we moved, I've been slowly building back up go-to my paint assortment - again including C&K's vanilla, here I used to transform the look of a basic round mirror I have in the dining room...

Here is what I used:
  • Wide frame round mirror (clearance find at Garden Ridge 2013)
  • 1 drop cloth (folded on table for extra protection)
  • 1 Chip brush
  • 1 small sponge stick
  • 1 small detail painters brush
  • Clark & Kensington Vanilla (sample jar from Ace)
  • Ralph Lauren antique gold (had from last year - qt. from Home Depot)
  • Ebony stain (picked up a qt. for $2 last year at a local builder supply store)
Here's what I did:
  • Covered the well-lit kitchen dining table with the drop cloth.
  • Wiped down the mirror with a damp cloth (to remove dust).
  • No tape needed - I just gave two coats of vanilla to the center wide band.
  • Sponge wiped the edge + inner rim with the RL gold paint.
  • Detailed inner rim with the ebony stain, which allowed some of the existing burnished gold to still come through.
That's it!


old basic round mirror

rough brushed wide rim with vanilla

 after 2 coats of vanilla, painted edge + inner rim with sponge in gold...





Yes - I love my black, but for Spring & Summer, I love to lighten up!

Besides renewing the mirror with white & gold, I'm also refreshing the dining room with a major dose of green, white and gold. If you've followed me over the years, you know I also love are shades of green  and my beloved palm fronds - which even though we're back east, have been hard to come by - especially during the winter months. What to do when you you want to surround yourself with a atmosphere you love? Create it yourself...

Here's a sneak peek of another paint project I'm working on inside, to not only refresh the dining room, but also update a console I scored from thrift & refinished back in FL in 2006... again re-using existing pieces collected over time, injecting color with paint sample jars, and layering in a new palm print pattern with existing textiles...


Color inspiration from Carolina thrift finds - vintage creamer, gravy boat & books...


Sample jars - on sale for $5 at Sherwin Williams - perfect for small projects such as painted furniture makeovers...


Collected inspiration from a design book (surprise! NOT Pinterest!), framed photograph wall art (I created back in FL in 2008), fabric samples old (lattice) and new (palm print - banana leaf) 

Since the room foundation is already neutral (grey walls called Porpoise from Behr paint) with white trim & dark wood floors, it makes creating seasonal changes super easy - and without the cost of a major renovation. Ideally, I'd like to cover the top portion of the walls in grass-cloth and add moldings below the dado (chair rail), but those changes can't quite fit in the budget at this time - and that's just fine.

Here are a few projects from the past where I've also used palms, greens and whites...


What projects are you up to this winter?

Thanks for stopping by!








9 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see the finished room. Love the green and gold combo! And that's a great transformation to your mirror!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have always liked your spaces. I get a little disappointed when I log in and don't see daily posting. You used to post daily when living in Florida. As a respectful request can you post daily (Im so hooked on your blog) Thank and continue the good job LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very superb and such a nice list.Thanks for sharing this list
    House cleaning | office cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is excellent information. I got some new idea. Thank you for your post.

    companies that do home staging

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compared to preceding models the new iRobot Roomba 805 installs the Aero Force Cleaning System. It provides an air suction power of as high as up to 5 xs as compared to the previous series on the list.

    if you want more just look here "roomba 805 review"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I was previously checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part :) I maintain such information much. I used to be seeking this specific information for a very long time. Thanks and best of luck. my sites:home styling for sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love to decorate my home newly each year for once at least. I was looking for a furniture store online, to avoid hassles and also to get delivery easily. I search online a lot and finally I choose living room furniture. Though I was hesitating at first, but after getting the delivery. I was really amazed to see their product quality. All of them were well furnished and the material is so good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails